Wednesday, November 5, 2008

What the Election Meant...to Me


My 3rd grade teacher knew this day would come. (see my 3rd grade picture under "see original post")

I grew up in a very diverse community. The people that lived there valued the diversity of people...all people. My parents thought it was important to embrace diversity. In many cases, I was a minority (I'm a white male fyi...)..in class, on my street, at birthday parties etc. So from a young age the "rights" of all people were an important part of my life. Frankly, I never understood why some kids around me thought they were "different". I suppose their parents or older siblings taught them they were different...somehow "less of a person". But to me, they were my friends...my BEST friends...that's it. They could grow up and be anything...just like me.

It wasn't until 3rd grade that I started to learn that perhaps all people were not the same. I could not believe it. Ms Freeman was my third grade teacher. She was a great person. She was warm...loved music...she reminded me of my Aunt. I remember we talked a lot about Martin Luther King that year. What he believed...and why he believed it. So, I had my teacher actually teaching me about the differences of people...could it be true?

Ultimately what she taught ME was that it did not have to be true...that as children...we could grow up and be anything...no matter WHO or WHAT you were. She also told us that WE would have the power to make MLK's vision come true.

Over the years, the reality of life painted the truth. After I left for college, I saw true racism as I met people from across the country. I came home from college and found some of those same old friends (who don't look like me) being poisoning by their friends...and society. But deep inside...I always thought of Ms. Freeman...and what she taught us in 3rd grade (besides not to bring a pocket knife to school. I believed in her message...and still do.

So to me, while I could see pros and cons of both players...fundementally...this was about something bigger than how much tax I pay. It was about making a lesson I learned long ago come true. It was the wisdom of my third grade teacher taking hold.

I hope BO is a great president. I know our country would have survived either man. But more importantly, hopefully now we can move on as a country...and as a rainbow of races. It's clear all people can become ANYTHING they want. Let's disband racism of all forms...against all groups....even against guys like me!!

It was a great day for all of us....but one thing for sure...you couldn't pay me enough to take the job BO has "won". I wonder if he feels like he "won" anything...but a headache.

No comments: